Position Title: Teacher
Teacher's Position Summary:
Teachers are responsible for the care and education of a group of children as part
of a teaching team. Each teacher functions as the class leader and/or co-teacher. The
teacher plans and implements the curriculum while maintaining a safe and nurturing
environment. With active participation of other members of the teaching team, the
teacher works with parents and assesses the needs of individual children.
Teachers report to and are supervised by the Preschool Director. This is a non-
exempt, hourly, part-time position requiring approximately 25 hours on site per week.
Minimum Qualifications / Education / Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree with at least 12 units in early childhood education OR AA degree
in early childhood development plus 1year experience in a licensed child care center
with preschool children as a teacher.
• Must have Child Development Teacher Permit
• Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
• Must have basic math and computer skills
• Must be able to multi-task, and interact well with others.
• Must be CPR & Pediatric First Aid Certified
• Must undergo background check/fingerprinting per FUMC Safe Sanctuary Policies
• Must be able to lift 30 pounds
A teacher will:
• Provide an integrated curriculum that meets the cognitive, social emotional, physical,
visual & performing arts standards of the California Learning Foundation.
• Develop age appropriate lesson plans for the class.
• Plan and implement experiences that promote language and literacy development.
• Plan and implement activities that promote the acquisition of numbers and science.
• Model and teach God’s love for each child through stories, songs, activities, and
grace before meals.
• Plan and implement activities that help develop social skills.
• Plan and implement culturally diverse experiences.
• Establish classroom routines with smooth transition periods.
• Communicate with children at their developmental level.
• Encourage children to be independent.
Health and Safety:
• Give full attention to students, and be responsible for the safety and physical welfare
of each child.
• Know how to assess, and when to exclude an ill child from the rest of the group.
• Participate in the care and cleaning of classrooms including toys, furniture &
Relationships with Families:
• Promote communication with parents through weekly program notes, and semi-
annual parent/teacher conferences.
• Relate assessment information to parents and offer support for dealing with children
at different developmental stages.
• Work with family and Director as a team to develop an individual plan to support the
child’s inclusion and success when the child has serious or challenging behaviors.
• Encourage parents to participate in the program.
Administrative and Professional:
• Maintain written plans on a weekly basis. Lesson plans must be posted in classroom
with copy given to the Director.
• Assess program supplies and materials needed prior to implementing activities.
• Coordinate and help supervise assistants and volunteers working in the classroom.
• Assess children’s needs and developmental progress on an ongoing basis.
• Use results of assessment to plan activities according to the California Learning
• Support the Little Lights philosophy and educational objectives.
• Support the professional growth and development of colleagues by sharing materials
and information and providing helpful feedback and encouragement.
• Attend staff meetings, workshops, program functions and in-service training provided
by the Preschool.
• Support and promote child, family and staff confidentiality.
• Communicate with Director daily either verbally or in writing.
• Inform Director of any unreasonable behavior, parent complaint, or problem that
should be handled by the Director in the best interest of the program.
• Be to work on time according to the schedule.
• Keep personal appearance neat and respectable.
• A teacher must be in charge of each classroom and may not leave children under any
circumstances without arranging for backup by another teacher or director.
• Field phone inquiries about the program when the Director is absent.
• Assist in preparing and organizing special events (i.e. open house, graduation, field
trips, holiday events, and church events).
• Assist in preparing and organizing fundraisers.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Carol.Matzkind@LittleLightsTurlock.org